Director of Education
The Little Orchestra Society/Orpheon, Inc.
New York, NY
The Little Orchestra Society (LOS), a New York City-based contract orchestra performing between 40-50 concerts each year, as well as providing music education and public service programs for audiences of all ages, seeks an experienced and innovative Director of Education to create and implement the Orchestra’s three community outreach and music education programs: Musical Connections: The School Partnership Program ®, Live in Concert! and Project 65Plus.
The Director develops programs, organizes events and prepares curriculum and other educational materials in connection with The Little Orchestra Society’s concert series; selects, trains and supervises teaching artists; conducts ongoing program assessments; designs and leads professional development programs for teachers and teaching artists; is primarily responsible for expanding programs into new schools and adult groups: assists in the grant writing and fundraising for existing and new programs from private and government sources; and assists in marketing LOS concerts through community-based activities.
The ideal candidate will be an articulate, outgoing self-starter who will identify and initiate new partnerships; will have excellent written and oral communications skills; knowledge of New York City’s music organizations and public schools; experience writing curriculum materials to be made available in print and on-line; and be a self-starter when creating new resources, relationships and program models.
- Reporting directly to the Executive Director and working with the Music Director, the primary responsibilities are to:
- Manage all aspects and day to day operations of Project 65Plus, Live in Concert! and Musical Connections, including new after-school programming
- Creating and tracking budgets for each of these programs
- Assist in grant writing and curriculum development for each of the Orchestra’s music education and public service programs
- Build new relationships within the larger New York City arts and arts education communities
- Create new community engagement programs and manage growth of current offerings
- Develop and maintain social media activities relating to the above programming
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree or equivalent in arts education with concentration in music
- 3-5 years of experience in music and arts education ranging from pre-school to adults, including after-school programming
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Experience in assessment and evaluation
- Proficient in MS Office, Adobe, Photoshop and Illustrator a plus
- Proficient with various social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Highly organized and efficient, able to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team environment and problem solve
- Evening and weekend hours required during concert season
- Sense of humor
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Benefits package included. Position available immediately.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
The Little Orchestra Society is an equal opportunity employer.